Saturday, July 17, 2010

Coco avant Chanel (DVD)

'When a woman cuts her hair, she's about the change her life'
Wow, this quote will stick in my memory for a while - I don't think Coco wanted the change she got that day (she lost the love of her life), but what followed turned out to be a life to be celebrated.The DVD cover reads
From rags to riches to haute-couture: the incredible story of Coco Chanel. In a remarkable tour de force portrayal, the lovely Audrey Tautou becomes the legendary style icon Coco Chanel. From her humble beginnings at a French country orphanage to the extravagant heights of Parisian society. Chanel's indomitable creative spirit was expressed as a dance hall singer, seamstress, social rebel and fashion icon. Benoit Poelvoorde and Alessandro Nivola portray the men of wealth and elegance infatuated with the multi-faceted Coco Chanel, whose vision and style - inspired by fashion and fueled by passion - paved a daring new way for modern women to look, dress and live their lives
For me, this story was inspiring, challenging and amazing. I actually knew nothing about Coco Chanel before watching this. In fact, I was probably anti Chanel as a big name in fashion, an industry that often counter acts everything I believe in environmentally. But I have learnt something new - Coco Chanel survived to live a dream, achieve amazing heights, because she believed in her self, did not accept the every day rules set out for her, and she made her own rules. This makes her a hero for me.

The movie was also exceptionally made, nothing was amiss, a mon avis, from cinematography, scenery, costumes and the acting. Audrey, encore, performs impeccably and stunningly. I love the way she can say so much, with so few words, just with her eyes.

On my DVD I also have some extra features, of which I really enjoyed the actors and other parts of the movie team talking about the research they had to do to get it all right.

A great movie, and even better if you can watch it in french , sans subtitles. Highly recommended for Paris in July.... Dont forget to visit Karen's blog to see this weeks round up.

10 comments:

Jillian said...

I just watched this last night, actually on demand! I thought the actors played their parts just perfect! However, I did not have the grasp of who Coco is before Chanel and how she loved fashion to begin with. I did understand that she wanted to break out from the norm and make women feel comfort when it comes to clothing. I do get also she is quite a feminist, and I admire her for speaking up and standing for what she believes in. Unfortunately, this movie I'm afraid didn't capture who she truly is. I am glad you liked it though.

Amy DeTrempe said...

I had no idea about her backround. Interesting. I will have to try and find a copy of the DVD. Originally, I wasn't interested in seeing it either.

Sarah Joyce said...

I've been dying to see this as a fan of Audrey Tautou and of Channel. Glad to hear it's good film. I'll have to move it up on my netflix queue

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Ooh, this is one I will definitely have to pick up and watch -- Netflix is loving me this month! I never knew about her background so this is very interesting -- and Audrey Tatou is in, so that's even better, she's fabulous!

ds said...

I'm not a big fan of the fashion industry either, but I do adore Audrey Tatou, and Chanel's life was rather spectacular, so I may have to make an exception. Thanks for the great review!

Terri B. said...

So glad to see this movie reviewed! I watched it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I had to read the subtitles since I understand very little French.

Nadia said...

This sounds fab! And I love Audrey Tatou - so I will definitely be checking out this film! Great post!

Karen said...

I can't wait to watch this one - I have been drooling over it for ages!! I didn't get a chance to put it on this weekend - hopefully next!

Electra said...

This sounds wonderful!! I'm definitely going to rent it! Thanks for the tip!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've yet to watch a French film to celebrate Paris in July, and that needs to change.

Thanks for sharing this movie with us.

https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/07/iconic-paris-amazing-flowers.html